Saturday, October 6, 2012

Object Transformation

Another assignment in class, take an object and transform it.
This was the object before transformation :
 I did not know how to transform it; I was lost with these objects. I thought of breaking it and make something entirely different with the broken pieces, but I did not want to take a chance of not being able to put it back together. Then I took plastic wrap and wrapped it around the girl head and fabric for the boy. I was not pleased with what I have done to these head busts and want to discard it. I had my classmates critique my work and from these critiques one in particular came to my attention, "they look like their injured". I thought up of a new idea. I had decided to embrace the wraps, but I decided to use yarn for the wrapping.

Objects after using new material:

I did make a small hole on the head of the boy bust.  I also used wire to create the words "sight" and "blind".
I titled this project " Who's the Blind One?"


Why is it that the girl has "blind" over her face when it is the boy who has yarn wrapped around his eyes? Why is it that the boy has "sight" tangled into his yarn- wrapped face? Why did I make them the way they are right now? I always thought that blind people always had a sixth sense. Many people with perfect vision  judge a book by its cover and slip past the pages. Blind people READ the pages and get to KNOW it and then MAKE the decision if it is good or not.
This was my inspiration for my object transformation project.


I was deciding if I should take off the words written on the heads with sharpie because the printed words were already being taped onto the pedestal.  I thought that there was too much going on and there was no balance.  



The process of taping yarn onto the wall to integrate the pictures, the words, and the heads  together.




The finished look of my  work.





Notice how the heads do not have the written words.  It looks a lot better in my opinion.  


From this angle, the yarn creates a cool shadow pattern.  This caught my eye as I was going around to take pictures.
The process of making this was long, but it was a great learning experience.  I feel like I learned how to expand my ideas further. I originally did not plan to integrate the yarn onto the pedestal and the wall.  I also extended my ideas by deciding to tape the words onto the yarn, which gave it a cool dangling effect.  This process taught me how to take a further step from my original idea.

2 comments: